SEO or search engine optimization is often overlooked in crypto and blockchain, as people are often unsure how the two can be put together. People mostly rely on paid marketing when it comes to promoting their range of blockchain services. SEO takes the backseat in most cases. However, SEO can attract an audience you are missing out on.
With smartphones becoming more popular, it has become increasingly common for people to do their own research online before they decide to make a purchase. When your website is optimized for search engines, it will rank higher and get noticed faster by people who are looking for a solution.
If your target audience finds what they are looking for without having to check multiple resources, they will likely engage with your brand. SEO plays a vital role in helping crypto brands grow and expand their audience reach without spending a single penny.
Understanding Cryptocurrency SEO
SEO for crypto or cryptocurrency is all about using search engine optimization practices to help a crypto business website rank right on search engines. These practices include keyword research, competitor analysis, and creating corresponding content marketing strategies that align with your goals.
As cryptocurrency continues to grow, a large audience base is still interested in cryptocurrency but isn’t sure how to invest and grow. Having a website backed with solid crypto SEO strategies builds trust. It ensures your website visitors are interested in learning more about your business and start their cryptocurrency journey with you.
The Necessity of SEO in Crypto and Blockchain
SEO can be used to enhance a cryptocurrency website’s organic traffic and improve the website’s visibility on SERP. Many cryptocurrency brands are looking to create awareness about their offerings. While paid ads do their bit in bringing in leads and conversions, often, these brands do not have a supporting website that can be used to keep interested potential customers engaged and invested.
Additionally, 76% of consumers look up a brand’s online presence before they make a decision, making it essential to have a website that supports your brand and its offering. Moreover, an SEO-optimized website can consistently speak your brand’s language, even when you are not around, making brand communication consistent at all levels. Additionally, your current SEO strategies will also help your brand establish itself comfortably on Web3.
Key SEO Know-Hows for Crypto Websites
Keywords are the essence of search engine optimization. These are the terms that your potential customers are always using to search for what they are looking for. Using keywords with a high search volume throughout your website will make the website pop up in the top search results.However, conducting thorough keyword research is an important part of ensuring that your website is enriched with keywords that are relevant to your niche.
For instance, if your brand deals only with providing information about cryptocurrency, then having keywords specific to the niche will attract traffic interested in knowing about cryptocurrency but is not at the stage where they want to start investing.
Whereas, if your brand offers the service to trade in cryptocurrency, then using keywords like “blockchain,” “NFT,” “Bitcoin,” or “Dogecoin” can help in attracting traffic that knows about cryptocurrency already and is now looking to trade or invest in it.
It is worth noting that keywords are divided into three categories: primary, secondary, and long tail.
Primary keywords are the main terms that your target audience is searching with. “Crypto exchange,” “blockchain industry.” and “crypto companies” are some examples of primary keywords.
Secondary keywords are closely related to the primary keywords. Your target audience also uses these to search for what they are looking for. “crypto and blockchain” and “Bitcoin in crypto” are some secondary keywords.
Long tail keywords are a string of keywords that are put together by your potential customers and are used as a search query. “How to trade in crypto” and “Why trade in cryptocurrency” are a few examples of long-tail keywords. These are particularly common among people close to making a purchase decision.
Tip: Keyword research tools that are often used for keyword research include SEMrush, Ubbersuggest, and Google Keyword Planner. Be sure to choose keywords that have a high search volume and moderate to simple difficulty.
Also known as backlinking, it is a crucial practice to leverage the advantage of Google’s EAT (Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness) algorithm.Through backlinking, your crypto website can work towards building high authority and credibility by backlinking to websites that, in the eyes of Google, have higher value and credibility. The practice also boosts the SERP rankings of linked websites.
However, link building is a long and time-consuming process. Consider targeting websites that have high-quality content and are regarded by Google instead of relying on multiple websites that have low-quality traffic. While it can seem challenging initially, the long-term benefits will be worth it.
Here are a few tips to make the backlinking easy:
- Focus on creating and publishing high-quality content on your own website. This serves two purposes: your website’s SEO improves significantly, and the target backlinking website will also view your website as worthy of giving a backlink.
- Shortlist websites you want to receive a backlink from. Look for websites that are ranking high in your industry or related industries. Consider getting in touch with these websites to get a backlink.
- Create an outreach email strategy and templates to ensure your communication is the same throughout the industry.
- Be transparent throughout the process to avoid any misunderstandings later. Beware of websites that completely alter your content, as it can affect your brand communication and potentially challenge your brand’s reputation.
Content is highly regarded by Google’s algorithm and is amongst the most common and best ways to rank higher on search engines.
Here are some ways you can optimize your content for higher search engine rankings:
- Ensure that the keyword you are targeting has traffic potential (an estimate of monthly organic traffic to a top-ranking website).
- Make sure that your keyword strategy aligns with the search intent, including content type, format, and unique selling proposition, which are important factors to take into consideration.
- Create content that makes your website a one-stop solution for everything your potential customers could be looking for.
- Make your content appealing to read by adding visual content, prioritizing information, and avoiding fluff and keyword stuffing.
- Add a relevant title tag and description by incorporating keywords that are related to the page.
- Get backlinks for high-domain authority websites that are known for offering high-quality content and factual information.
Here are 12 mistakes to avoid when you are optimizing your website content for better SEO rankings:
- Using multiple keywords on one page with the hopes of increasing your website traffic and search engine ranking.
- Excessive use of keywords even if they do not fit the context. Keyword stuffing was once believed to be effective; however, that is not the case. Today, keyword stuffing can severely impact the performance of your crypto website.
- Not paying enough attention to mobile SEO.
- Duplicating content from high-ranking websites to your website.
- Ignoring meta tags, titles, and descriptions or using generic, irrelevant keywords when writing meta descriptions and titles.
- Not having a website optimization strategy and randomly pruning or adding content.
- Not defining important SEO metrics for your website that you are putting your efforts towards.
- Publishing low-quality content in excess.
- Having low-quality and poor backlinks to your website from spammy websites.
- Indulging in the practice of showing different content pieces to algorithms and humans (cloaking).
- Not having a well-planned and SEO-friendly website structure.
- Too many pages with the same or similar keywords and content pieces have been created to rank for a specific keyword.
Common Cryptocurrency SEO Mistakes
Considered webspam or spamdexing, keyword stuffing involves loading the content, meta tags, descriptions, anchor text, and alt images with keywords. These keyword insertions are often not natural and might come across as repetitive.For instance, “Keyword stuffing is the process of keyword stuffing in a piece of content as an attempt to make the website rank higher on search engines through keyword stuffing.” In this sentence alone, the keyword “keyword stuffing” has been used multiple times, even when they do not fit the context.
Keyword stuffing can significantly drop the quality of content that is being produced.
Why did keyword stuffing once work but is considered bad today?
When search engine was first introduced, the algorithms weren’t as advanced and smart as they are today. This made it difficult for websites with high-quality content to rank first. To take advantage of the developing system, many websites used keywords in excess (known as keyword stuffing) to gain the attention of crawlers.
This practice made their content seem relevant and high-quality. The practice resulted in boosting their search engine rankings. Things are not the same anymore & search engines have evolved to differentiate which content is high in quality and value-driven.
Such content pieces are encouraged by search engine algorithms. On the other hand, keyword stuffing can lead to penalties.
Quick and effective tips to avoid keyword stuffing:
- Write for the human and not for the bot.
- Be as thorough as possible.
- Avoid adding irrelevant content.
- Be generous with your research time and gather information from authentic sources only.
- Always proofread and edit your content after the writing is done.
- Set a practical keyword density for each keyword.
Often practiced by new businesses that do not have enough budget to build a website with multiple pages. A single-page website can make it challenging to target an array of keywords that you want to rank for, especially in a competitive industry like cryptocurrency. Consider getting a five to seven-page crypto website structure designed to target all your services. These individual service pages can be used to target a specific keyword.Here are more reasons why a single website is not a great idea for your Crypto SEO needs:
- There’s a strict limitation on the number of keywords you can target through a single page.
- The content on a single-page website is limited and may come across as limited & repetitive.
- You cannot perform advanced SEO practices that can boost your website’s search engine rankings.
- The overall loading time of the website can increase significantly if it has ample visual components.
- A single-page website cannot be used for backlinking or interlinking practices.
Similar content appearing at multiple locations across the website is known as duplicate content. Such occurrences make it difficult for search engine crawlers to understand which page has more value to offer, eventually causing confusion on which content to rank higher. As a result, the algorithm will rank such pages at a lower position and give preference to other pages.Causes of duplicate content SEO:
- Technical issues lead to multiple pages having the same content on multiple URLs.
- Not creating a clear canonical domain on your website.
- Attempt to rank higher but not having the required resources or ability to put efforts into creating high-quality content.
- Not having defined taxonomies for your website.
- Creating dedicated pages for images and no content or duplicate content in them.
- Localization and Hreflang issues.
- Indexing pages that are in the staging phase.
- Publishing content that is still under development.
How to avoid creating duplicate content for your crypto SEO efforts:
(Google webmaster guidelines commonly issue the following to avoid content duplication.)
- Avoid creating multiple pages, domains, and subdomains that have significantly similar duplicate content.
- Avoid getting into the practice of publishing content that has been picked from different sources or the same website.
- Avoid establishing affiliate programs from websites that are engaged in the practice of producing duplicate content or low-quality content.
Your website is a point of contact for your target audience. It is where they learn more about your brand, the range of services you offer, and why they should buy from you. However, that should not be the end of the communication cycle.Blogs are an effective way to establish consistent communication with your target audience and gain an SEO advantage. With so much fluff and myths surrounding cryptocurrency, blogging can be incredibly effective in clearing the clutter, sharing your advice/suggestions, and making your potential clients aware of your business offerings.Benefits of blogging for cryptocurrency businesses:
- Drive traffic to your website by publishing informative and intent-rich content.
- Establish brand authority and become an industry leader in the areas you deal with the most.
- Attract more qualified traffic to your website with higher chances of them converting into paying customers.
- Multiply the effectiveness of your link-building SEO practices.
- Provide first-hand information and build brand awareness and trust.
- Nurture relationships with your ideal customers and promote your brand for free,
- Repurpose blogs to create social media content.
Terrible for a website’s quality assurance; broken links can significantly impact your conversion rates.They can have a serious impact on factors including bounce rate time spent on the website and disrupt the quality of link equity.Broken links, in fact, signal search engine algorithms by indicating that your website is old and might need to be updated and relevant content. This can have a negative impact on your crypto SEO strategy.
Three quick tried and tested ways to fix broken links:
- Find broken links using numerous SEO tools that are available on the net today.
- Consider fixing broken links by either removing them completely or changing them with a valid, functional link.
- For internal links, consider checking the internal link, putting redirects, refreshing the link, or deleting the broken link.
Lack of Website Structure:
A well-defined website structure makes it easy for search engine bots to crawl through the website without missing out on important pages and indexing all pages. It acts like a roadmap that clearly lays out where to go if you are looking for a certain something.
Seven reasons website structure is important for SEO:
- It has a positive impact on site credibility, ensuring that bots are able to scan through your website without missing out on any page.
- It ensures you have a uniform and well-defined URL structure to prevent multiple pages from being created.
- Encourages the use of HTTPS to improve the user experience of the website and protection of user information, supports PPC campaigns, AMP implementation, and better quality of data on Google Analytics.
- Better internal linking to help crawlers find other pages on the website through keyword-rich anchors, decreasing page depth and allowing users to find other relevant pages to their search.
- It also ensures that a crucial part of the content is centered around the website’s structure.
- Eliminates the possibility of duplicate content from showing up and hampering your existing crypto SEO efforts.
- It can significantly improve Core Web Vitals and boost the chances of a website ranking on search engines.
If your website structure is poor, it can nullify all your SEO efforts. In case you are struggling with creating a website structure that can support your SEO strategy, here is how you can create a ravishing and practical website structure:
- Conduct thorough market research to understand what your competitors are doing and what you can do differently.
- Identify your target audience and what they are looking for. Deeply understand their pain points (in the case of crypto SEO, these pain points can be uncertainty of the market, myths, and how to invest in crypto).
- There are four major types of website structure. Understand the type of website structure you are looking for.
- Always focus on optimizing your website for humans and not solely for bots.
- Add links on a page to a certain limit only.
- Use heading hierarchy for heading elements (e.g., H1, H2, H3, H4).
- Create a link-building strategy and outreach methodologies.
- Organize to keep the navigation depth shallow with a light sitemap.
- Perform keyword research during each phase of the development process to ensure your pages are in demand and are enriched with relevant keywords.
- Test your website continuously and change page designs for web pages that are difficult to reach.
- Include schema markup.
Core SEO Components for Crypto Websites
It includes website and server optimization for improved search engine spiders to crawl and index the website with more efficiency. Here are some practices to include:
- Using HTTPS
- Avoid cloaking at all times.
- Work on page speed optimization
- Making your website mobile-friendly and responsive
- Implement Structured Data throughout the website
- Fix duplicate content issues
- Optimize for Core Web Vitals
The process of effectively optimizing content on the website to make it friendly for search engines and users. Here are some practices to include:
- Include the target keyword in the URL
- Use shorter URLs
- Add heading tags to all your headings.
- Optimize images with alt text
- Use LSI Keywords
- Embed title tag modifiers wherever needed
Activities that are done outside of the website to increase its search engine rankings. Here are some practices to include:
- Build high-quality backlinks
- Implement a social media strategy.
- Guest posting
- Listings on high domain authority websites.
- Actively participate in forums.
Optimizing SEO for Your Cryptocurrency Website Is An Effective Way To Grab User Attention
Crypto SEO is an effective way to let search engines know about your brand’s online presence. Through strategic keyword research, implementing SEO strategies, using relevant keywords, content optimization, implementing uniform website structure, and backlinking, your website can be the talk of the town, attracting more traffic and high-quality leads.